We recommend products that have been helpful to our patients and scientifically proven to be effective. These include:
- Oral-B Braun electric toothbrush. The round, oscillating head is ideal for cleaning under the gum-line to remove plaque and bacteria. The slender power tip cleans in between the teeth where decay and bone loss can occur.
- Toothpaste. Most toothpaste is the same so, for most people, choose the brand you prefer. For others, though, we may need to assist you in selection. If you have receding gums, a low abrasive toothpaste is recommended. People with sensitivity may benefit from toothpaste with potassium nitrate, which occludes exposed dentinal tubules. If you tend to have apthous ulcers (canker sores), you may get relief using an SLS free (sodium laurel sulfate, a foaming agent) toothpaste. Finally, for individuals who tend to continually get cavities, prescription high fluoride toothpaste can help reduce decay.
- Floss. Which is the best kind? Waxed, unwaxed, Teflon or tape? Research shows that the best one is the one that you like to use at least 5 times per week!
- Hate to floss? We promise not to nag you! A variety of tools can clean between your teeth and gums to help keep them healthy. We assist you in choosing which is right for you.
- Fluoride Rinses. Fluoride mouth rinses help rebuild and strengthen your teeth. People with exposed root surfaces, dry mouth from medications or anyone with many existing fillings and crowns can benefit from fluoride rinses readily available in pharmacies and grocery stores.
- Xylitol mints and gum. Xylitol is a natural sugar derived from birch trees. It helps prevent decay by reducing the number of decay-causing bacteria by impeding their ability to produce lactic acid, which damages teeth; or glycans, substances that allow bacteria to stick to teeth. 8 grams per day in 3-4 doses is ideal.
- Chewing Gum. Chewing sugarless gum after meals or snacks stimulates saliva, which neutralizes harmful bacterial acids. We recommend 100% Xylitol gum such as Spry (available at Whole Foods Markets) or Trident, especially "Extracare" which contains bioavailable calcium which can remineralize the teeth.